The position of Town Administrator was established by a 2018 Town Meeting vote which authorized the position in beginning in July 2018.
The Town Administrator is appointed by an elected three member Board of Selectmen and serves as an agent of the Board. The Selectmen represent the Executive Board for the Town and are responsible for ensuring general oversight of matters not specifically delegated by state law, a Town Meeting vote, or assigned to another Town officer or board. The Board appoints the Town Administrator who supervises staff and oversees the daily operations and delivery of municipal services performed by departments under the jurisdiction of the Board of Selectmen.
The Town Administrator is responsible for the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Serves as Chief Administrative Officer and agent of the Board of Selectmen
- Serves as the Town’s HR Director
- Serves as Chief Procurement Officer
- Serves as Director of Financial Management Team
- Oversees and reports on claims against the town
- Prepares and coordinates Annual & Special Town Meeting Warrants
- Oversees and manages operations/services under Selectmen's authority
Robert Markel currently serves as interim Town Administrator, appointed by the Board of Selectmen on Sept. 3, 2019